Have you ever felt discouraged in your prayer life? Maybe it feels like you can’t connect with God like you used to, like your prayers stop at your ceiling and do not reach God. Maybe you lack a desire to pray and wonder what the big deal is?
The truth is, if you have felt this way, you need to examine your life and see what may be killing your ability to desire to pray. Here i am posting about the few hindrances which may pull you backwards from God.
- UN-CONFESSED SIN : PSALM 66:18 – If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear. Un-confessed sin is probably the most common prayer killer. God is perfect and can’t abide sin in us. If we knowingly tolerate sin in our lives, it pushes God away from us. As a result, it makes our prayers powerless. The good news is that when we confess sin, God forgives it, and it’s gone. Our past actions may still have consequences, but the sin itself is forgiven.
- LACK OF FAITH : Lack of faith has an incredibly negative impact on Christian’s life. Without faith, prayer has no power. Even Jesus was powerless to perform any miracles in Nazareth because of the people’s lack of faith.
- DOUBLE MINDEDNESS : JAMES 1:6-8 – James calls one who doubts “like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does” … The word double-minded speaks of a condition where a person is emotionally divided, almost as if he had two souls. That condition makes a person unstable and incapable of hearing from God or receiving His gifts.
- UN-FORGIVENESS : Why is forgiveness so important? The answer is found in Matthew 6:14-15 : “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” … Forgiving and being forgiven are inseparable twins. When a person refuses to forgive another, he is hurting himself, because his lack of forgiveness can take hold of him bitter. And a person cannot enter prayer with bitterness and come out with blessings. Forgiveness allows your heart to be made not only right, but light.
- MISTREATING YOUR WIFE : 1 PETER 3:7 – Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered. In the above mentioned verse , it is clear that , the way we treat our wife , plays a major role in receiving or obstructing the blessings from God.
- UN-SURRENDERED WILL : A person whose will is surrendered to God has a relationship with Him similar to the one described in the parable of the vine and the branches. It says, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you”. The branch depends on the vine and lives in one accord with it. In return, the vine provides it with everything it needs, and the result is great fruitfulness.
There are great benefits of surrendering your will to God. One is that God promises to answer your prayers and grant your requests. Another is that we get to receive the power of Christ through the Holy Spirit. Just as with the vine and the branches, He flows through us, gives us power, and produces fruit.